Private postsecondary educational institutions are required by law to submit an Annual Report to the Bureau. The report must include specific information related to the educational programs offered by the institution, including program costs, graduation rates, and post-graduation job placement rates. The Bureau makes this information available to consumers so they may make an informed decision when selecting a private postsecondary education institution.
2016 Annual Report Summary
The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (Bureau) protects students and consumers through the oversight and regulation of California’s private postsecondary educational institutions. The California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 (Act) requires that institutions submit an Annual Report as part of the ongoing compliance program. The Annual Report is due by December 1 of each year and is required to include specific information related to the educational programs offered by the institution in the reporting period.
There are approximately 1,040 institutions that were required to submit a 2016 Annual Report to the Bureau. 820 institutions submitted Annual Reports online prior to the deadline. These institutions enrolled approximately 455,738 students (data from institution section of the Annual Report). For the institutions that submitted within the Bureau’s deadlines, the Bureau was able to draw some conclusions about the sector. The information contained in this Annual Report Summary is based on self-reported data from reporting institutions; the information has not been independently verified by the Bureau.
Of the 455,738 enrolled students, 281,538 students began the programs and were scheduled to complete the programs on-time in 2016 (data from program section of the Annual Report). The clear majority (168,820) of these students are enrolled in diploma and/or certificate programs. The types of diplomas and certificate programs offered by these institutions run the gamut, and include such programs as cosmetology, vocational nursing, truck driving, and computer training. In 2016, 14 percent of students were enrolled in bachelor programs, and a combined 7 percent were enrolled in graduate-level degree programs. “Other” programs offered by these institutions include professional development, English as a second language, test preparation, and language training programs, just to name a few.
Annual Reports Archive
The Bureau publishes the information provided in the links below as it was submitted by the institution, and does not endorse, recommend, or favor any institution whose information is published or provided.
Annual Reports Library
Disclaimer of Liability
The California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education shall not be held liable for any inaccurate, altered, delayed, omitted, or misleading information, or any improper or incorrect use of the information published or provided herein, and assumes no responsibility for anyone's use of the information on any theory of liability.
School Performance Fact Sheets
A separate School Performance Fact Sheet (SPFS) shall be prepared for each approved educational program, for each main and each branch location. SPFS must include data for the two previous calendar years. SPFS are electronically submitted as a link with your Annual Report, due by December 1st.
2019 School Performance Fact Sheet Workshop Schedule
- January 24, 2019 in Sacramento from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- February 7, 2019 in Oakland from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- February 21, 2019 in Riverside from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- March 7, 2019 in Fresno from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- March 21, 2019 in Van Nuys from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- April 11, 2019 in Sacramento from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- April 25, 2019 in Los Angeles from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- May 9, 2019 in San Diego from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- May 23, 2019 in San Jose from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- June 6, 2019 in Oakland from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- June 12, 2019 in Sacramento from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- June 20, 2019 in Riverside from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- July 11, 2019 in Santa Rosa from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- July 25, 2019 in Los Angeles from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- August 8, 2019 in San Francisco from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- August 22, 2019 in San Diego from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- September 12, 2019 in Sacramento from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- September 26, 2019 in Riverside from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- October 10, 2019 in San Francisco from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- October 24, 2019 in Van Nuys from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- November 6, 2019 in San Jose from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- November 21, 2019 in Los Angeles from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- December 5, 2019 in Riverside from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
To register complete the Registration Form and submit it to the BPPE
Annual Report Submission Tips:
- Post all sections of the Annual Report to your website. Institution – Section 1, Program(s) – Section 2, Branches – Section 3, if applicable and Satellite(s) – Section 4, if applicable.
- SPFS must include all tables and all fields for all sections.
- If your program does not require state licensure, provide a statement indicating such and enter n/a in said fields.
- If the program is new, indicate zeros and use the “new program” verbiage as listed in the SPFS.
- Provide one link from your homepage, clearly and conspicuously displayed, leading to all Annual Report documents.
Note: You may use the same link for the SPFS, Catalog and Annual Report.
- All verbatim statements required for the SPFS must be included in the SPFS as is.