Schools are allowed to perform distance learning at this time. However, higher education institutions are not permitted to be open during Stage 2 of the Governor's reopen plan. For more information, see California Department of Public Health guidelines.
Welcome to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
The Bureau protects students and consumers through the oversight of California's private postsecondary educational institutions by conducting qualitative reviews of educational programs and operating standards, proactively combatting unlicensed activity, impartially resolving student and consumer complaints, and conducting outreach.
Office of Student Assistance & Relief
Established by Senate Bill 1192...
...the Office of Student Assistance and Relief (OSAR) was created for the purpose of advancing and promoting the rights of students of private colleges, and assisting students who suffer economic loss due to the unlawful activities or closure of a private college.
In collaboration with various State and federal agencies including the California Student Aid Commission, California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. Department of Education and the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the OSAR is committed to assisting California students and addressing the needs of those students attending private colleges.
- A-Technical College Announces Closure
- MTI Business College of Stockton School Closure Outreach Event – 05/29/19
- Important Information About Argosy University and The Art Institutes
- Brightwood College School Closure Information
- SB – 1348 Allied Health Professional Clinical Programs 2019 Reporting Requirements
- The Art Institute of California (Orange County) Branch Closure Outreach Event – 10/17/18
- Los Angeles ORT College Branch Closure Outreach Event – 10/08/18
- Out-of-State Registration modification to proposed text – 07/06/18
- The Real Barbers College School Closure Outreach Event – 06/05/18
- American Specialty College School Closure Outreach Event – 04/17/18
- Office of Student Assistance and Relief Quarterly Report: Third Quarter (Jan. 1 - Mar. 31)
- Office of Student Assistance and Relief Quarterly Report: Second Quarter (Oct. 1 - Dec. 31)
- San Francisco College of Cosmetology School Closure Outreach Event – 12/07/17
- DEADLINE for Annual Report submissions this Friday, December 1st, at 11:59 p.m.
- BPPE Advisory Meeting for November 15, 2017 – CANCELLED
- Ukiah Beauty College School Closure Outreach Event – 11/14/17
- Student Tuition Recovery Fund Order of Adoption – Effective 8/10/2017 - NEW!
- Office of Student Assistance and Relief – Now Open!
- Out-of-State Institution Registration Form – NEW!
- Emergency Regulations: Out-of-State Registration - Effective May 30, 2017
- Westech College School Closure Information
- Out-of-State Institution Registration Update
- Report: Increasing the Effectiveness of State Reporting Requirements and Student Disclosures for Private Postsecondary Institutions
- Student Tuition Recovery Fund Eligibility Changes
- Letter to Schools Regarding Senate Bill No. 1192
- Information on ACICS
- School Closure Information
An Annual Report must be filed with the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (Bureau) by each approved institution pursuant to California Education Code (CEC) section 94934. The Institution reports the required aggregate information for all locations (main and all branches)Submit Annual Report
School Performance Fact Sheet
A separate School Performance Fact Sheet (SPFS) shall be prepared for each approved educational program, for each main and each branch location. SPFS must include data for the two previous calendar years. SPFS are electronically submitted as a link with your Annual Report, due by December 1st.School Performance Fact Sheet Templates