Student Tuition Recovery Fund

If you are a California resident who was financially harmed after attending a private postsecondary educational institution, you may be eligible for relief through the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF). STRF relieves or mitigates economic loss suffered by a student while enrolled in California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education approved institution, who, at the time of the student’s enrollment, was a California resident or was enrolled in a California residency program, prepaid tuition, and suffered an economic loss.

Submit an Online or Paper Application

***Now Available*** Complete an application online using the Bureau’s Student Tuition Recovery Fund Portal. Start the process by creating an account to save your progress along the way.

You may preview STRF Application questions in advance by reviewing the paper application linked below.

You may also download an application in English or Spanish to complete and submit by mail to the address on the application.

Unsure on Next Steps? Assistance is Available

The Bureau’s Office of Student Assistance and Relief (OSAR) is available to support current and former students of private postsecondary institutions, including with filing STRF applications.

Learn more about OSAR by visiting

Hear from OSAR about what to do if your school is closing or has closed:

Contact OSAR by calling (888) 370-7589 (select option #5), or by emailing

Important Resources

Application for Student Tuition Recovery Fund(English)

Solicitud de Fondo de Reembolso de la Matricula Estudiantil (Spanish)

OSAR webpage:

Applicable STRF Statutes/Laws - California Education Code (CEC) 94923

Applicable STRF Regulations - California Code of Regulations (CCR) 76000 & 76020