Corinthian Colleges Student Guide

The California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) is hoping to make the transition in your education as smooth as possible during this difficult time caused by the sudden school closure of Corinthian Colleges. BPPE staff visited several Everest and WyoTech locations on Tuesday and Wednesday, April 28-29, 2015, to assist students. We also put together the below information to get the word out on your options and some important consequences of each.

Effective January 1, 2017, students enrolled in all California Corinthian Colleges campuses (including Heald Colleges) and California residents who were enrolled in an out-of-state Corinthian Colleges distance education program as of June 20, 2014, or withdrew within 120 days of this date, may be eligible for reimbursement from the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF).

Former Corinthian Colleges students who believe they are eligible for STRF reimbursement should submit a completed STRF application to the BPPE. All questions regarding the STRF should be directed to or (888) 370-7589.

Note: Newly eligible Corinthian Colleges students who submitted a STRF application prior to January 1, 2017, do not need to submit a duplicate application.

Heald students may obtain direction from the following resources:



It is important that you obtain your academic, attendance, and financial records as soon as possible. Obtaining the records is a vital step in pursuit of any of your options noted below. Obtain copies of ALL paperwork the school is providing you or asking you to sign. Carefully review all paperwork before you sign it.

For more information on transcripts visit our Transcripts page


Option 1: Apply for Closed School Loan Discharge and Reimbursement From the STRF

You may be eligible for a closed school discharge of your student loan(s) but you must take certain steps to apply. For federal loans, contact the U.S. Department of Education for instructions. For non-federal loans, contact the holder(s) of your loan(s) to inquire about what relief may be available to you. Note: Transferring credits/units will likely result in the loss of your right to a closed school loan discharge.

The STRF exists to reimburse as appropriate any prepaid tuition that you are otherwise unable to recover. Students enrolled at the time of the school closure (or enrolled within 120 days of the school’s closure) may be eligible for reimbursement through the STRF.

For more information regarding a closed school federal loan discharge and the STRF, read the following information:

Option 2: Transfer to Another School

You may be able to use the academic credits/units you have earned at the closed school towards the completion of a similar or different program of study at another school. You may incur additional costs and will need to contact the school you wish to transfer to in order to find out whether any of the credits/units you want to transfer will be accepted.

The BPPE’s regulations require schools within its oversight to have written policies regarding the transfer of credits/units for each educational program. Before you make the decision to transfer, you might want to compare (a) the number of credits/units you can transfer to the new school and the cost of re-earning those credits/units against (b) the amount of loans that might be eligible for a closed school discharge.

In addition, before you enroll in a new school, you should speak to the financial aid office about how transferring credits/units might affect your eligibility for a closed school loan discharge.

Note: Transferring credits/units to another college will likely result in the loss of your right to a closed school loan discharge and may affect your eligibility for reimbursement from the STRF.

If you choose this option, you must determine which type of school may be the right choice for you. At a minimum, you should ask any school about the graduation and job placement rates of the program you are interested in, and obtain the transfer credit/unit policies for the program you’re interested in.

To help you find a school that may best fit your needs and career goals, you may want to visit the following resources:

Additional Resources

BPPE strongly encourages students affected by the Corinthian Colleges closures to ask questions and to learn about their rights before making any future commitments.

In addition to the resources listed above, Heald, Everest, and WyoTech students can visit the California Department of Justice Web site to access an online tool - a personalized resource sheet containing information on the types of relief that may be available, nearby legal aid organizations that can provide advice and assistance, and local community colleges.

Please check the BPPE Web site regularly for updated information on the Corinthian Colleges closure along with the BPPE’s Facebook and Twitter pages.

BPPE Press Releases