School Closure Information for ITT Technical Institute Students
The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (Bureau) has been informed that all ITT Tech Schools are closing. We are hoping to make the transition in ITT Tech studentsí education as smooth as possible during this difficult time.
Note: ITT Tech students are encouraged to check their email inboxes as the Bureau sent messages on Tuesday, September 6, 2016, to the student email addresses the school had on file.
For information provided by the Department of Education review the following: ITT Technical Institutes School Closure FACT SHEET.
The Bureau is setting up meetings throughout California near campus locations to provide assistance and additional information to students. The schedule for each meeting will be emailed to students as the dates and locations become available. Refer to the table below for current and future meetings:
|Oakland / Concord||UC Berkeley, Ed Roberts Campus
3075 Adeline Street
Berkeley, CA 94703
(Location near Ashby BART station)
|November 10, 2016
6:00 P.M. - 8:30 P.M.
(510) 271-8443 ext. 306 or email@example.com
*Students may attend any time between 6:00 P.M. and 8:30 P.M.
If you are unable to attend a workshop, then we encourage you to watch a previously recorded workshop at
The Bureau wants students to know that they have rights when their school closes.
- Students Have the Right to Request a Refund From Their School
- Students Have the Right to Request to Have Their Student Loans Discharged
- Students Should Contact Their Loan Servicer to Request a Loan Discharge
- If Students Arenít Sure Who Their Loan Servicer is, They Should Contact the National Student Loan Data System
- Students Have the Right to Request Reimbursement of Their Tuition From the Student Tuition Recovery Fund
- Students Should Complete the Student Tuition Recovery Fund Application to Begin the Process
- Students Have the Right to Transfer to Another School
- Transferring Any Credits/Units to Another School May Affect a Studentís Eligibility for a Loan Discharge or Tuition Reimbursement
- Transfers Are at the Discretion of the New School
ITT Tech students should refer to the Bureauís Closed School Guide and the United States Department of Education's ITT Tech School Closure Fact Sheet for additional information
Note: Students should NOT pay companies for student loan "consolidation" or forgiveness services that their federal loan servicer provides on behalf of the United States Department of Education for free.
Please visit http://www.parchment.com/ITT/ for transcript requests and additional information.
Veteran Student Information
While there is currently no way to restore any months of GI Bill eligibility used at ITT under federal law, California law creates the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) to reimburse students for, among other costs, lost educational opportunity provided by funds paid by an outside source, such as GI Bill awards at a qualifying closed school. The Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education, which administers the STRF, is currently finalizing the application process.
For additional information regarding STRF eligibility, including eligibility information for veteran students, contact the Bureau at (888) 370-7589, press 5 when prompted, or email questions to STRF@dca.ca.gov.
Veteran students are encouraged to visit the GI Bill Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ to access the GI Bill Comparison Tool which streamlines information into an easy-to-use online tool that provides information to calculate benefits and research approved programs, tuition/fees, housing allowance, graduation and loan default rates.
The US Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) administers the GI Bill, and makes all determinations related to Veteran education benefit eligibility and payments. The USDVA also regulates entitlements paid to Veterans and performs all calculations. All questions regarding eligibility and payment of GI Bill benefits must be directed to the USDVA at 1-888-GIBILL1.
- Veterans Education Success: Advice for Students of ITT Tech
- Review the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) School Closure Fact Sheet for Veterans and GI Bill Beneficiaries
- VA will not pay GI Bill education benefits at an unapproved institution
- Only the USDVA can provide assistance or address questions related to GI Bill eligibility or payment
- Questions or concerns related to ITT Tech and its schools should be directed to ITT Tech representatives
- Visit USDVAís GI Bill website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ to access education benefit information
- Visit the CalVet Web site at https://www.calvet.ca.gov to obtain assistance with other Veteran needs and services
For additional information, students can contact the Bureau at (888) 370-7589. Students can also check the Bureauís Web site along with its Facebook and Twitter pages regularly for updated information on the ITT Tech school closure.